Book By Book: Small Grants for Teachers
Building a future of empathy and respect one book at a time.
Grants up to $500 for Washington State public school teachers.
When students learn about the Holocaust, they learn the importance of speaking out against bigotry and indifference, promoting equity, and taking action.
In order to support educators who are teaching about the Holocaust, the Holocaust Center for Humanity is offering small grants to Washington State public school teachers who need to purchase books for their students' use.
Please review all of the details on this page, including eligibility, before completing the application.
Grants will be awarded only for the purchase of the titles listed in the "Best Practices" Literature Section. (Eligible titles include those listed under "More Recommended Books.")
Teacher guides and supporting materials are available for each of these titles.
Guidelines & Details
- These funds are to support the purchase of the titles featured in our Best Practices. You can see those here. (Eligible titles include those listed under "More Recommended Books.")
- The application requires the teacher to outline which books they will purchase with the funds, how they will be used, demographics of their classroom and school, and the expected impact or outcomes. Please see below (“Application”) to gather requested information. Once started, your application will not be saved before submitting.
- Teachers receiving funds commit to completing a report on the use of the materials. Report includes: Letter of impact from the teacher, notes of thanks from students (optional), 5 photos or a short video. Permission should be obtained from students so that the Holocaust Center can share this publicly. Deadline for report will be determined when awarded.
- Grants range from $100 - $500. Scholarships are available to teachers in public schools in Washington State and priority is given to Title I schools. Books are intended for grades 5-12.
- Applications are reviewed on the 1st of every month and teachers are notified by the 10th of every month. Selected teachers will receive payment within 2-3 weeks of notification, or by the last day of the month.